Gleniffer speeds elegantly toward Ganges while a modern mega yacht (After Eight) anchors in the distance.
Click images to view:
This text was supplied by Gleniffer owner, Tom Burnett:
During the time when sail powered vessels dominated yachting in Vancouver, the first steam power yachts were introduced from the Orient. With the development of the gasoline engine, and later the diesel engine, power cruisers began to appear on Burrard Inlet. By 1905 the Vancouver Yacht Club fleet list showed nineteen powered vessels on the roster.
Just prior to World War One, teak-built yachts from Hong Kong were brought to Vancouver on the decks of freighters. Notable among these was GLENIFFER, built in Hong Kong by W. S. Bailey and Company. Bailey was a consulting engineer and importer of steam engines. The company shipyard and machine shop on Kowloon Bay occupied six acres, with 450 feet of sea frontage and employed approximately 2,500 men.
GLENIFFER was built and delivered to Vancouver in 1912 for owner Stuart Cameron. She is 40 feet long with a 9’ 6” beam and weighs ten tons. GLENIFFER is carvel planked in 1” Burma teak, with a canoe stern. Wide clear ceiling planks are 5/8” teak, ribs are 1- 3/8” by 1 -7/8” teak copper fastened with rivets and bronze drift bolts. Her keel has a large section of scarfed-in lead. She has several custom cast bronze fittings, such as her bow apron stem cap with fairleads.
GLENIFFER’s original power was provided by a Lycombing gasoline engine. Later she had a six cylinder Kermath, then a Chrysler Crown; her current engine is a Nissan Chrysler diesel. There are two 50-gallon stainless fuel tanks aft and a copper water tank in the bow. Gear shifting at the helm is done with the original brass wheel. She can also be steered from the aft cockpit with her old cast iron removable hand-tiller.
She was very active in the Royal Vancouver Yacht Club. Later owners included the Commodore, R.M Maitland, J.C. McPherson, and Ken Mair.
GLENIFFER cruises from her boathouse on Saltspring Island, B.C. and is skippered by long time owner Thomas Geoffrey Burnett, a coastal towboat Master with the Canadian Merchant Service Guild.